Saturday, May 19, 2012

Back to the Real World

Hello
I'm sorry I haven’t been by to visit any of you lately but I’ve been quite busy being Spoiled Rotten.  You see my birthday and Mother’s Day were last week.  Soon it’ll be our 33rd anniversary and it‘s my first blog anniversary as well. Stay tuned for some candy.

On Sat the 5th, I drove thru the countryside pass bucolic family farms, orchards in bloom and thru ‘blink and you’ll miss it’ towns. Up thru the Wenatchee National Forest and the magnificent trees with wild flowers in yellows, pinks, whites and purples dancing at their feet. Further on thru the Gifford Pinchot National Forest where wild dogwoods peeked thru majestic evergreen trees like stars on a moonless night and still higher where the trees are still dressed in their white winter coats.

My destination was the quaint town of Packwood. I spent quite some time admiring 100+ extraordinary works of art at the quilt exhibit. I enjoyed the craft fair as well but you know I was drawn to the two card makers there.  One was not very friendly but the other was a pure delight. Her cards were all so unique and quite beautiful. I was amazed at her talent for making masculine cards.  We happily shared ideas and discussed a variety of techniques and products for nearly an hour.

On my way back home, not wanting the day to end, I took a hike in the snow thru the forest. The quiet only broken by birds singing and the air so crisp and clean it almost hurt to breath. I even saw a beautiful deer! The breathtaking beauty and serenity of the forest is so refreshing to my spirit I don’t know why I don’t drive up there more often, what an amazing day.

It was a lovely week of phone calls, cards, flowers, gifts, yummy food and visits from family and friends. John called to apologize for not sending me a card. Bless him, I think having a kidney transplant is a good enough excuse don’t you. BTW he is home from the hospital and doing quite well. Jim and I went out to our favorite steak house and our favorite Chinese restaurant. Yahoo, out with my Jim twice in one week, what a treat!  

This week I got the veggies garden planted and quite a bit of weeding done before Jim and I came down with a tummy bug.  We are both well now but it has left us as limp as dish rags. 






My card was inspired by the quilts I saw at the exhibit last week and will be given to the lady moving in next door once she's settled in. I mimicked the colors of one quilt, the design of another and used my swirls EF to mimic the hand quilting used on still another, then cut it out with SB Labels four. The MS butterfly was punched from velum then heat embossed with holographic EP and layered on to another punched from a yellow gingham scrap. The rhinestones are from Recollections.

As soon as I link this to Di’s Snippet Challenge 21  I'll be getting caught up with as many of you lovelies  as possible.     

Have an Amazing Day!

Blessings
Bernie



Click here to give --- It’s Free

24 comments:

  1. Super cute card. Love the colour combination but the quilt pattern has me beat. I thought I knew them all!!! Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never seen that pattern before either. I love to read the history of quilts and pattern names but none was provided. There were many exquisite quilts, several obviously from the 1800’s, one can only hope their history hasn’t been lost.

      Delete
  2. sounds like you have been having a fun time lately-happy birthday and anniversary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you had a great birthday Bernie - and two outings with Jim is great going. Super descriptions of your day out to the craft fair as well.

      Love your snippets card of course :)

      Di
      xx

      Delete
  3. A very belated Happy Birthday. Glad to see that you were having such a great time. Great card - such cheerful colours. Hope you are going to share lots of ideas now on masculine cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab card, love the embossing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bernie, Just gorgeous and l too love the embossing:)x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty card, Bernie! I love the quilt design and that butterfly is amazing! It sounds like your celebration was amazing, too!!! :) ~Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A belated happy birthday Bernie, and what a busy week, I'm out of
    breath thinking about it.

    Your quilting friend sounds wonderful. And, I love your quilted idea on your card especially with the embossing.

    So pleased you and Jim are feeling better.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated happy Birthday, Bernie. Sounds like you had a great time. I love your snippet make and I may have to use the quilt idea myself! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday Bernie... boy its sounds as though you had a super time! love the card the colours are just beautiful... Hugs May x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bernie

    Belated birthday wishes to you .. .. I am pleased you have been being spoilt!!

    Great use of your snippets here. Love the finished look.

    Hope you had a good weekend.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bernie! Happy belated Birthday! I hope you had a fabulous week, it sounds like you did! Speaking of candy, did you ever recieve the candy you won from me? Hope so!
    Lovely snippet card, thank you for your kind comments on my blog.
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't arrived yet Laura but we are dealing with the Royal Mail and the USPS so I'm not holding my breath. LOL! I'll let you know as soon as it gets here.
      Hugs

      Delete
  12. Just totally enjoyed reading your narrative of your outing. You're a wonderful writer! I could just 'see' those lovely places. So happy you got to have a relaxing & fun day. Now on to your card: Just beautiful. I LOVE quilts, and you have surely captured that look. Your swirls EF folder really did make me think of quilting stitches..so effective. I'll have to just try to do this myself, as it is a gorgeous card. Great job! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS...was so admiring of your post & your card, I simply forgot to say "HAPPY BIRTHDAY"!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belated birthday wishes Bernie, glad you have found time to enjoy yourself. This card is wonderful and the sentiment is so appropriate.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Belated Birthday, Mother's Day and soon to be Happy Anniversary! Wonderful Wonderful stuff!

    Your card is fabulous Love the focal point! I love love quilts! Your card made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Belated birthday wishes to you, I am glad you had a special day! I love the card, its gorgeous!

    Hugs, Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oops-a do-over

    What a wonderful time you've been having. How you must have enjoyed the quilt exhibit along with all the other wonderful times. Belated Happy Birthday!

    Your card is so pretty and I see you have quilts on your mind. Your new neighbor is sure to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Bernie . . . belated birthday wishes going your way. Sounds like you've been having a great time.

    Many many congrats on your forthcoming wedding anniversary and blogoversary too!

    Sending hugs,
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely snippet make Bernie. Sounds like you've had a few fun filled days. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely make. An extremely clever idea. Belated birthday wishes to you. Lynn x

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments are not allowed on this blog. Sorry but constant spam has forced me down the route of stopping them!